December brings that winter chill, and for a filling breakfast that’s going to warm me up, I reach for porridge/oatmeal. It takes slightly longer to prepare in the mornings than my granola recipe…can you tell I have a thing about oats at the moment? But if you’re after something warm that will keep you going till lunch, I highly recommend this (vegan) recipe. Full of good fats and antioxidants and soluble fiber this recipe can be made three days ahead and then warmed up in a pan with some extra milk.
- 2 cups of jumbo oats
- 3 cups coconut milk (not the canned variety, the one in the carton)
- 1 heaped tbsp nut butter ( I used this one)
- A selection of toppings. I used flaked almonds, more nut butter and some apple.
1. Add your oats and 2 cups of milk to a pan, heat over a medium heat, stir regularly.
2. Add remaining milk as needed . This will all take about 20 minutes for the oatmeal to absorb the milk and it becomes soft and creamy.
3. Once your oatmeal is done, lower the heat and stir in your nut butter of choice.
4. Pour your oatmeal into a bowl, top with a little extra milk and your chosen toppings. Enjoy whilst warm.